My husband and I celebrated our engagement anniversary in the Western Caribbean. It seems we started a new tradition to go somewhere, anywhere in February – thats warm. February is one of the coldest months for us midwesterners. We went with two other couples one being my closest friend who is also a newly wed. It was such a fun getaway for all of us. We were able to spend time together at the pool lounging and we would meet for dinner most nights. One night my husband and I had a romantic dinner at the Chef’s table on the Royal Caribbean. We had 3 ports of call: Grand Cayman, Cozumel (my personal favorite) and Costa Maya. My most memorable experience was kayaking in the clear kayaks you could see the blue turquoise water and some colorful fish. We also went snorkeling which was so much fun. There was a photographer who actually took our pictures underwater! It was such a cool experience! All in all it was such a wonderful vacation and a much needed getaway. 😎
Here are a few travel tips that I find very helpful:
1. Use Hotwire to book a 4 star hotel for less! We literally scored a 4 star hotel at the Diplomat Resort for under $160 the usual price per night is $260-$345.
2. Layer on the suncreen the higher the Spf the better. Use a sunscreen that has zinc oxide or titanium if you’re super sensitive to the sun it blocks all sun rays. My husband who is a dermatologist made a good point the tan may last a few weeks but the wrinkles can last forever. So layer on the Spf every hour or two. Opt for a sunless tan before your trip if you want a base color.
3. Bring Cortisone 10 – it helps relieve the itching that can come with allergies to the sun on your skin. It’s the most itchy irritating red bumpy rash that can burn if you continue scratching. It’s also known as polymorphic light eruption and it’s quite common.
4. Don’t forget your camera to capture all of your memories. If you plan on bringing your phone in water I recommend a water proof case sold on Amazon called Joto.
5. Last but not least – bring a beach bag and be sure to pack all of your essentials you’ll need on the beach – a cover up, sun hat and the SPF.